How to delay service notifications

I use checkmk 1.6 (p21 atm) and would like to change the behaviour of a Postfix Queue check running on one of our systems. At several times it will receive a blob of messages which will be send by Postfix within about 30 minutes. This will trigger the queue check for some time and solve without any intervention which is fine. I would like to change this check behaviour as this is acceptable. The check has already defined values for warn and err and this works as designed. I would like to ‘accept’ a temporary grow for about 30-45 minutes, receive a WARN/ERR if the queue contents will stay there for this period. I don’t know how to configure this using WATO and found several older related topics but did still not found how to proceed;

Can someone please advice?

perhaps with this delay option ???

Trend computation or growth are just in Filesystem Checks available

Hi,

you can also solve that with the rulesets nr. of check attempts and retry interval.
The service will only reach the so called “hard state” that triggers the notification when the maximum nr. of check attempts is reached.
You will still see the soft state in the webinterface.
In this setup you don’t create a notification in the first place, that you delay afterwards.

1 Like

Thanks! I will try both suggestions and check what fits my needs :slight_smile:

I have tried and configured both provided solutions but unfortunately it does not fulfill my needs, I still have events in the [Service Problems (unhandled)] section. Anyone else?

This is the expected behaviour, as the solutions described only affect notifications, not the actual state of the service. You will still see the service in WARN/CRIT state, but you won’t get any notifications.
As far as i know there is no way to achieve what you have in mind, as checkmk always represents the actual state of things. The closest would be the answer on the first link you posted in your original answer.

If your “mail-bulks” always come at the same time you might be able to solve this issue with setting time-specific thresholds. You can define that at specific times the thresholds for the mail queue can be higher and e.g. 30 minutes after that it should be back to normal. But that would only work if you know at what time you receive the messages.

We have decided to raise the configured values so this mail bulk does not trigger the check anymore. I know, this is not a solution but a usable workaround. Thanks again to everyone that replied to this topic.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.