How to uninstall/remove checkmk from Ubuntu 22.04

Hi, I have played around with checkmk , made some mistakes and now i want to start again. I cannot see how to remove checkmk and it’s config so I can start with a clean system.
I installed check-mk-raw-2.2.0p7_0.jammy_amd64.deb.

apt remove check-mk-raw-2.2.0p7
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
The following packages will be REMOVED
check-mk-raw-2.2.0p7
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 1 to remove and 4 not to upgrade.
After this operation, 918 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database … 400773 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing check-mk-raw-2.2.0p7 (0.jammy) …
Site checkmk is still using this version!
dpkg: error processing package check-mk-raw-2.2.0p7 (–remove):
installed check-mk-raw-2.2.0p7 package pre-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: too many errors, stopping
Errors were encountered while processing:
check-mk-raw-2.2.0p7
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

You first have to stop running Checkmk sites and (re)move the Symlinks pointing to the Checkmk installation directories. This is basically the first three steps shown here:

Thank you for the quick reply.

You say “(re)move the Symlinks pointing to the Checkmk installation directories.” I’m a newbie so can you give me a clue where to look please.

Click the linked article. The relevant step is (assuming your site is named “mysite”):

mv -v /opt/omd/sites/mysite/{,_}version

After this, the uninstall works. You can later remove /opt/omd/sites or keep it for further experiments.

If you want to start with a clean slate and also don’t care about all the configuration you have done in your site, then you can remove the site with omd rm checkmk (assuming from the output of your command that your site is called “checkmk”). This will remove the site and all configuration. After that the apt remove-command should work. But don’t do it this way if you want to keep the configuration. If you want to keep your site/configuration you should follow the steps @mschlenker suggested.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your answers, I have now uninstalled checkmk.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.