IIS & App pool monitoring in check_mk

Hi ,

Is there any possibility to Monitor IIS & App pools in check_Mk.

Hi,
yes - I use this nagios-plugin:
https://github.com/TheFlyingCorpse/check_iis
A short howto in German:
https://www.karl-deutsch.at/monitoring-des-iis.html

Karl

1 Like

Thanks for the link when i extracted i see lot of files in this we are on check_mk version 1.4.0p37 so i have updated this in the check_mk.ini file ```
check = IIS_AppPools PFAD_ZUR_EXE_DATEI/check_iis.exe --inventory-pools

But it is asking to use only these 2 files 
check_iis.exe and check_iis.conf i am able to find this file check_iis.conf  but not able to find the other file

Hi,
you can find the files here: http://www.karl-deutsch.at/talks/checkmk/check_iis/

Karl

I have downloaded it and copied the files in plugin directory of check_mk and updated the check_mk.ini with this check = IIS_AppPools PFAD_ZUR_EXE_DATEI/check_iis.exe --inventory-pools but when u am trying to restart the Agent it is not restarting.I guess the issue with the command i updated in check_mk.ini file can you help me on how to fix it

Hi,
this is a nagios plugin. So don’t use the Checkmk plugin directory. You can save the files e.g. into c:\program files…\check_mk\check_iis. Then add to your check_mk.ini file:

[mrpe]
   check = IIS_AppPools c:\program files...\check_mk\check_iis\check_iis.exe  --inventory-pools

Karl

getting this error :slight_smile:
Unable to execute - plugin may be missing. mrpe

Hi,
can you show me your check_mk.ini file?

Karl

Created by Check_MK Agent Bakery.

This file is managed via WATO, do not edit manually or you

lose your changes next time when you update the agent.

[global]
# TCP port the agent is listening on
port = 6556
[mrpe]
check = IIS_AppPools c:\program files…\check_mk\check_iis\check_iis.exe --inventory-pools

i understood where it went wrong

this is my current ini file

Created by Check_MK Agent Bakery.

This file is managed via WATO, do not edit manually or you

lose your changes next time when you update the agent.

[global]
# TCP port the agent is listening on
port = 6556
[mrpe]
check = IIS_AppPools C:\Program Files (x86)\check_mk\check_iis\check_iis.exe --inventory-pools

now it is showing this error Neither health check or inventory switches have been specified mrpe

Hi,
you have the agent bakery - it’s no good idea to edit the check_mk.ini file manually. Use Monitoring Agents -> Rules -> Execute MRPE checks. Have a look at the screenshot.

Save the rule - bake the agent and deploy the agent.

Karl

1 Like

After baking the Agent and installing it i am getting the status for the service as Unknow like this

UNKN - check_iis.exe - Windows Service Status plugin for Icinga2, Icinga, Centreon, Shinken, Naemon and other nagios like systems

Hi,
what’s the output when you run the plugin with the cmd command?

Karl

im getting this error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\check_mk\check_iis>check_iis.exe --inventory-pools
Neither health check or inventory switches have been specified

Hi,
then let’s try with additional options:

check_iis.exe --check-apppools --perfcounter-apppools

Karl

im getting someoutput with advanced options like this

C:\Program Files (x86)\check_mk\check_iis>check_iis.exe --check-apppools --perfc
ounter-apppools
OK: All AppPools are in their correct states.
AppPool ‘DefaultAppPool’ set to AutoStart and apppool state is ‘Started’ which i
s correct, application pool uptime: 0
AppPool ‘.NET v4.5 Classic’ set to AutoStart and apppool state is ‘Started’ whic
h is correct, application pool uptime: 0
AppPool ‘.NET v4.5’ set to AutoStart and apppool state is ‘Started’ which is cor
rect, application pool uptime: 0
AppPool ‘AuditService’ set to AutoStart and apppool state is ‘Started’ which is
correct, application pool uptime: 0
AppPool ‘ErrorAppPool’ set to AutoStart and apppool state is ‘Started’ which is
correct, application pool uptime: 0
AppPool ‘ePortalServiceAppPool’ set to AutoStart and apppool state is ‘Started’
which is correct, application pool uptime: 0

Hi,
this is great … so let’s change the rule in the agent bakery and install the new agent.

Karl

1 Like

This is now working with check_mk version 1.6 do you have any updated version :slight_smile: