RAW: How do I add a description for a host added to monitoring?

I am using the RAW version
Open Monitoring Distribution Version 2.2.0p7.cre

I have a lot of hosts added, but I can’t seem to locate a field within Checkmk where I can enter a URL that can point to an internal wiki that will describe the escalation procedure for down service or host, or if the SOP is short enough to just enter one into the description field. Does this function exist within checkmk?

1 Like

As always, this can be done rule based. Use “Notes URL for hosts”. The URL field takes the usual macros, so if your Wiki or Confluence structure is well cared, you can use a single rule for all hosts.

Yes, documentation on this has to be improved…

1 Like

ahh thank you. I did create a rule now with Notes URL for Hosts, I still do not see this added field on the host that is being monitored.

it is for example “Custom notes” in the host specific hamburger menu. (And maybe around a dozen more places scattered around Checkmk)

This as feature request was the most upvoted thing at Checkmk conference this year. Everything requested is already there, but our documentation is poor on this and UX surely can be improved. We are working on it.

Okay much appreciated. I did locate one spot that shows this information. If I go to the monitor tab in the sidebar, then all hosts, then select the hamburger menu of that specific host, I will then see the custom notes show up. That seems to only be the URL that will automatically redirect me to the wiki.

But, If I go to the monitored host, drill down to the status of host. I scroll all the way to the bottom. There is a custom hosts note field and it is empty.

I understand this may be still being worked on. Thank you for the information.

1 Like

The code should be complete, just documentation lacking. I checked: You found a bug. Will be reported immediately.

Please keep tinkering and tell me your findings. Since so many people profit from this feature, I am really committed to have it done right.

I will update with more information when I come across anything new on my end.

1 Like

Oh my young padawan, this is a name I have not heard for a very long time.

Host and service notes are created from files in $OMD_ROOT/etc/check_mk/notes/hosts and $OMD_ROOT/etc/check_mk/notes/services. The filename have to match the hostname or service description. The content will then be displayed in that field.

This is a very undocumented feature of checkmk.

2 Likes

Is there a macro for Custom Host Notes URL so it can be used in the body tail sections of ASCII Email?

I used macro $HOSTFORURL$ for rule Notes URL for Hosts but is not being parsed into a hostname.

Or am I using it wrong, or not yet available in version 2.1.0p5.cre?

EDIT:
Macro $HOSTALIAS$ for rule Notes URL for Hosts seems to be working. But macro $HOSTFORURL$ seemed a better choice for this use case, so maybe it is a bug.

Added Custom Host Notes URL in rule Parameters for HTML Email but in the mail it does not show an URL like it does through GUI host hamburger menu.

I assumed others could post their findings here too, although the original question is solved.
Perhaps wise to split it to a new topic for findings?

1 Like

Thanks Robert! I’ll discuss the missing documentation with the knowledge team. I personally feel this should not be documented since it violates the paradigma that only site admins should tinker with the file system.

So in the long term, when we squashed all bugs, we’ll properly document the “Notes URL” rule in the official user guide and also do a blog article on it.

Yes, this feature is quite antiquated.

Just for completeness: There also is the possibility to add custom icons in the host overview. These can be used for documentation links, but also all kind of service links. For example, in the internal monitoring we create rdp://hostname links to be able to access our Windows servers directly. The rule is called:

Custom icons or actions for hosts in status GUI

1 Like

For completeness, this seems to be wonky too.

Defined an action to be used in Custom icons or actions for hosts in status GUI

Macro $HOSTALIAS$ is not being parsed in the action like it did in in rule Notes URL for Hosts, so ending up with useless action links in hosts overview. )-:

Edit
Using macro $HOSTNAME$ seems to work in Action URL, but not in Title.

Where what macro is working seems not very consistent.

Very nice. I tested with iframes under a host directory and it seems to almost work. CSP seems to be blocking it now. Attempting to make it more than a tiny text field.