Service time ignored in availability report

CMK version:
CRE 2022.11.15

OS version:
Docker on Debian Bullseye

As documented in Availability - Evaluating and analyzing availabilities (3.5. Effect of time periods),
I wanted to define a service time for a check, to get an availability graph for just that time period.
However, I could not get it to work.

I googled around a bit, and found these:

->Statement from May 5, 2020 that this is a bug in 1.6.0p11 CRE

->“livestatus: Timeperiod cache not updated, there are no timeperiods (yet)” in log. I can confirm that I get the same log lines.

This is my own setup, where I see that same behavior, that service time is not honored in availability reports:
Time period definition:

The time period is applied to the service:
service_time_applied

The availability report is set to only be computed for service times:
service_time_only

This is the timeline of the availability report:

As you can see, there are neither grayed out areas (as there should be, according to the documentation), nor is the crit state outside of the service time ignored (this crit state occured after I set the service time for this service).

I have updated from CRE 2022.07.27 to CRE 2022.11.15 while debugging this problem. No change between these two versions.

So has this bug just stayed unfixed for the past 2 years? Or am I doing something wrong here?

2 Likes

I can confirm this bug.

I just ran into the same problem. Spent a couple of hours implementing availability and service periods in CRE. But service periods were just ignored in the availability reports as if they weren’t defined. Double checked with the documentation to make sure that this feature is not restricted to CEE. Spent even more time debugging.

As a last resort, I remembered the forum.

And indeed, this bug has been reported nearly three years ago. Not only once, but twice in 2020. Both threads were closed due to inactivity.

Something is rotten in the state of Checkmk…

1 Like

Just to make sure, I submitted a bug report to feedback@checkmk.com, pointing to this thread and the two threads from 2020.

@gregor.hoffleit
not sure if feedback@ will solve the problem quicker :frowning:

@martin.hirschvogel
could you forward this to the right person?
Seems the Bug is present since two years now

Hey,
@gregor.hoffleit Thanks for sending to feedback@… - this way it is on our systems. In general, we do not reply to feedback@… - rather see it as an option to report bugs for Checkmk Raw users or users without a support option.
We prioritize bug fixes of customers with a support contract. While we would love to fix it right away, customers like @foobar would not understand why we would do that instead of fixing a bug they reported. And this bug has unfortunately not been reported by any customer with a support contract.
What I can do however, is to make sure that at least other users don’t waste time trying this in the meantime. I will talk to the our docs team thus. I apologize to everyone who has wasted their time.
Martin

My colleague @MarsellusWallace used his spare time in the train trying to reproduce this bug.
It only occurs in Checkmk Raw. The feature works as intended in CEE in both 2.0 and 2.1 (using CMC).
Thus, we can not promise anything here regarding resolution as mentioned above, but we will adapt our docs in the meantime

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.