SNMP error on ALCATEL 6850 Switchs

HI,
This is my first post, English is not my language and I’m sorry if I not clear expressing the problem or forget some especific rule.

I had the same problem as @michael.osing on his post SNMP Error bei Alcatel Switch and after a month searching the problem I found a possible solution and I want to share with this community for your annalisis.

The problem:
When you try to read the Alcatel OS 6850 SNMP community, it obtains an error reading the SNMP data like post MIchael on his post:

FETCHING DATA
[snmp] Execute data source
ERROR: SNMP error 5/1 ((genError) A general failure occured)
[snmp] ERROR: SNMP Error on 10.40.XX.XX while walking .1.3.6.1.4.1.6486.800.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.36. Normally this is caused by a device sending invalid SNMP responses (Details: (genError) A general failure occured (5/1)).
[piggyback] Execute data source
No piggyback files for ‘10.40.XX.XX’. Skip processing.
No piggyback files for ‘10.40.XX.XX’. Skip processing.
Completed.

afther this result, you can´t obtain data on the Alcatel Switch services.

The problem begins on the OID .3.6.1.4.1.6486.800.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.36, usually works on the most Alcatel Switch, but depending the version the snmpwalk crash when try to read it. The check plugin
Alcatel_power reads the OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.6486.800.1.1.1.1.1.1.1. 2 and 36, and this last part of the OID cause the error because it wasn’t have a result.

Option 1 (Recomended):
Go to Setup -->SNMP rules–>Disabled or enabled sections (SNMP)–> and create a new rule for the host with problems with the section “alcatel_power” on the option “Disabled sections”.
Afther that, you miss the alcatel_power section, but you can read the rest of the data.

Option 2 (Not recomended but you can read the power sections if you really need it):
WARNING: on this option you need to edit the original plugin, if you use it on another alcatel Switch, don’t do it, becuase you will cause problems on the rest of the results.

Edit the /opt/omd/versions/YOUR_VERSION/share/check_mk/checks/alcatel_power

On the line 29: change the following:
“1”: “AC”, to “3”: “AC”,
And line 79
change: 36, to 1,

afther this change (changing the end of the OID 36 to 1), the plugin use the “adminStatus” that respond with an INTEGER “3” if its power on. In the place of the real espected value chasEntPhysPowerType programmed by this control.
It’s important to know that the value “AC” it’s not real, it’s the alternative that I found to use this control ignoring the error.

If any of you on this community has a better solution I really apretiate if share it or propose a change on this ideas.

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.