Agent upgrade on CEE virtual appliance

Running a CEE 2.0.0p1 virtual appliance.

On the main dashboard we get the

Add all your Checkmk servers as monitored hosts to Checkmk to render this graph. Specifically, we are missing the ‘Site [SITE] statistics’ services of the following sites: {site name}. Either the corresponding Checkmk servers are not monitored at all, or you filtered them out by applying site filters.

Looks like it comes as a result from Werk #11834, which is cool.

Checked out the thread at How configure graph "Add all your Checkmk servers as monitored hosts to Checkmk to render this graph. Specifically, we are missing the 'Site [SITE] " and the second post appears to offer the solution - install the latest agent.

Upon activating the “Check for correct version of Checkmk agent” rule, the expected warning appeared:

[agent] Version: 1.5.0p4, OS: linux, unexpected agent version 1.5.0p4 (should be 2.0.0p1)

Is there an official guide for upgrading the agent on a virtual CEE appliance? GUI fan here, but can also follow CLI instruction for an SSH session, if needed.

Are you able to bake agents and install the resulting appropriate agent into your appliance?
If you can do that you only need to rediscover the new host labels and services and you are good to go. :slight_smile:

Luckily we had an agent baked in .deb format, managed to install it via SFTP+SSH. Can’t bake new agents, still have to get over my head with this new interface, in some things it’s better, in others I have a hard time finding stuff.

After an appliance restart we chose to rediscover services, added the new ones, now that error message is no more!

Thanks for your insight.

As separate news, going on the monitoring host properties, then choosing Hosts->Monitoring agent, the “This host has no Checkmk agents.” is still present. Guess that’s for another topic.

And for the technical docs team, my question in the first post remains. Sorry, but cannot find an answer in the current docs for this, maybe my search skill ain’t what it was years ago.

Is there an official guide for upgrading the agent on a virtual CEE appliance? GUI fan here, but can also follow CLI instruction for an SSH session, if needed.

I suggest to use the search function in the super menu on the left. It works both for the setup component and the monitoring component. You only have to type the right search phrases. :wink:

Regarding your “missing agent”: Once you bake the agents as usual the agent for that host should appear there.

What is your issue with the agent baking anyway?

Well plainly put: It is the very same procedure as with any other Linux Host. It’s that simple. :slight_smile:

I upgraded today an virtual appliance to the actual 2.0 release and the agent was also automatically updated to agent 2.0.0p3.
There was no need to do an own upgrade of the agent.

Glad for you. Mine remained at its initial 1.5.0p4 after upgrade from 1.6 to 2.0.

Also upgraded the appliance firmware to the actual version?
I don’t know if this is a feature from the firmware.

Yes, the firmware as well, this Sunday. Agent remained on 1.5.0p4.

Well if does not have registered the agent for auto update it won’t update itself, right?
I mean, if the firmware updated the agent you would run into problems eventually.

taps head indeed.
Looks like we only had it as an ordinary host, without autoupdate enabled. Maybe for the best, even though VM snapshots are taken before each patch install or upgrade.

Well, agent baking gave errors, something related to some ‘server’ tags, not going to paste the huge log here, it’s almost guaranteed to bore the hell out of anyone.

For another host, I had to temporarily bring in an agent that did not use transport encryption, so I modified the agent setting before baking - miracle, it worked! Then restored the setting to enforced encryption, baking and signing started to work in this case as well.

I am thankful for this, not going to investigate further, too little time for this unfortunately.

Quite so, thanks for clearing it out.

Really would like to have this in the docs as well, making it easier for a beginner diving into this monitoring environment.

To avoid bloating this thread up to much go ahead and open a new thread if the issue persists.

The community is here to help. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact @fayepal if you think this should be re-opened.