[Survey - Results are in!] Micro Survey #4: Vote for a (new) “Filter” icon!

----- Scroll down for the results -----

The fourth Micro survey is about exploring different variations of the “Filter” icon in Checkmk. Help us decide which one we should choose.
:arrow_right: Click here to start the survey :arrow_left:

In the previous Micro survey, we looked at the “Acknowledge problem” and “Schedule downtime” command dialogs. Next we want to test the new prototypes with Checkmk users and are currently on the lookout for people who are interested in testing! The test should take about 30 minutes and there’s no installation required.
:arrow_right: So if you want to test the prototypes, send me a direct message and I will get in touch with you!

We cannot see the icons because the HTTPS certificate for https://storage.useberry.com is self-signed.

2 Likes

No, it’s chain goes to Sectigo and from there to Usertrust. Either they did not roll out the complete chain or for some reason your browser does not know the root cert or explicitly distrusts something in the chain.

@thohenstatt could you please test with different browsers?

oh no! I am very sorry to hear. I will investigate the issue and get in contact with the survey provider (useberry).

@mschlenker I did (Brave, Firefox, Chrome, Safari) with all device (1 linux, 1 windows, 1 Android, 1 ipad) I have near me and it all worked fine.

1 Like

They have to fix the chain. Your and my browser have seen the chain at some point before…

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=storage.useberry.com

Thanks, for reporting, Robert!

3 Likes

openssl s_client -connect storage.useberry.com:443 also tells me that they do not provide the intermediate certificates needed.

1 Like

We’ll hint them on proper monitoring products to find such issues quickly themselves.

5 Likes

Just got an update from the support: They forwarded the issue to the dev team, and hopefully it can be resolved asap.

In the meantime, if you have similar problems with the images, and comfortable not voting anonymously, please send me a message and I will send you the images directly to vote on.

@r.sander Shall I send you the images, too?

I’ll wait. :slight_smile:

But the standard builtin ssl certificate check wouldn’t have helped here, or would it?
AFAIK, it only checks for certificate expiry, not for chain issues

4 Likes

You are absolutely right. Some of the active checks from monitoring-plugins have quite some issues, which is why providing some more modern alternatives using Checkmk’s APIs would be nice to have. The problems with check_http and junked output are such an example.

I’ve started tinkering with such things, but nothing for a broader public as of now.

4 Likes

Our survey provider solved the problem :v: If you still encounter any issues, please write me a message or comment here!

2 Likes

----- Survey has been closed -----

The 4th Micro Survey is now closed. We appreciate everyone who took the time to share their thoughts and insights on the use of Checkmk. Thank you for your valuable input and stay tuned for updates on our progress!

Greetings community!

I am delighted to announce the results of the 4th Micro Survey.
We asked you to vote for one of three icons to indicate filtering, and we have a clear winner.
Drum roll please!

:arrow_right: 72% of all participants voted for the “Funnel”-icon! :arrow_left:

filter_filter

We hear you, and we will change the icon according to the results to the “Funnel”-icon. The changes will be available with the upcoming 2.2 stable release!

Thank you for taking part in this survey. Your feedback is very important in helping us to make Checkmk as easy to use as possible.

The next Micro survey will be on host actions in the setup menu, so keep an eye out for the next survey announcement at the end of May.

Cheers,
Tanja

8 Likes

Thanks for the update and thanks for your effort @thohenstatt!

Even if I’m personally happy with the outcome of this survey I think there is a big elephant in the room - already mentioned before.
More a general thing but as there are more and more surveys coming (which, dont get me wrong, is positiv!)

The amount of people participating/you are reaching

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but 59 people (most likely can’t even tell if really all individual customers/companys), participated in this survey an deciding about the UX design of checkmk?

Putting this in perspective:
With more then 4000 enterprise customers CMK has, this is not even 1.5% who are shaping the UX design of CMK?
There need to be better ways to get MORE and direct Feedback from your customers then only the forum where most likely not even 10% of your enterprise customer are actually registered or active

Cheers

2 Likes

You are absolutely right Daniel! There are tens of thousands of Checkmk users and our goal is reach more.

Best way to convince users to get involved are timely improvements. Therefore basically everything Tanja works on gets quickly into the product (it’s also easy to do, because with all the research, it is then very well specified). There are some really cool bigger improvements coming in the future, which should really emphasize that this is an area, where it is very worthwhile to get involved.

Among the initiatives we have planned: Tanja will do a conference talk on day 1.
And we will look into ways how we can spread the word even further among users.

6 Likes

Hi @foobar,
I’m glad you’re happy with the results of the survey. To be honest, we were celebrating a bit too :slight_smile:

I understand your concern about the number of participants. It does not sound that many. For this survey we reached a total of 101 with the forum and the newsletter. This is high enough to be statistically significant, especially with such a clear result. Although we would of course like to see more participation!

We have recently set up a new mailing list specifically to announce research and spread the word. Ultimately, we cannot force people to participate, it is voluntary.
We always triangulate data, so a survey like this is only part of the decision in the end. This helps us to ensure, that only the best of the best make it till implementation.

As @martin.hirschvogel already mentioned, we are looking into other ways to have more participants in surveys :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tanja

6 Likes